Chichawatni city is located on the Multan road, about 40 Kilo-Meters away from Sahiwal city. There are two well-known traditions about the history of Chichawatni. The Harappa Civilization is in the east from 24 km.The first tradition is that in the seven century, Raja Dahar named Chichawatni on the name of his father name “Maharaja Chach”. The second tradition is that in this area a Hindu family lived, in which the name of man is “Chicha” and the name of his wife was “Watni”, on their names, this city is called Chichawatni.
This city was settled at the beginning of the twentieth anniversary and now has a population of about 1.5 million. The city has the second largest forest in the country after the Changa Manga forest. This city also has a distinct and unique identity in term of the big cattle market in the country.
Chichawatni, the second largest Tehsil of Sahiwal District, is located on Multan road in the west of Sahiwal. Ravi River is located to the north and the City Burewala is located to the south of the city.
According to the 1998 census, the population of Tehsil Chichawatni was 785,357, of which 72,721 were in the urban areas. After that, in 2011, the population increased to approximately 160,000 in the urban areas. In the recent election, the urban areas has been divided into 22 wards and the rural areas has been divided into 42 union councils. The 39/12L, 35/12L, 38/12L and 36/12L are main villages that are associated with city.
The area has a majority of Malik, Arain, Dogar, Rahmani, Jutt, Rajput, Chauhan and Ghaffari communities.
Government Boys Degree College was established in the city in 1967. In addition, the two middle schools and lots of primary Government school for boys. One of them was the Government MC Model High School established in 1914 which still has a glorious history despite the passing of a century. There are more colleges, Government College of Commerce and Government Technical Training institute in the city.
Government Crescent Girls College was established in 1971. The college was taken into national custody in 1976 and in 1983, the Girls College was given the status of a degree college.
In addition, one higher secondary school, four high schools, Government Rai Niaz High school and a few primary Government schools are working to educate female students in the city.
The evolutionary background of Chichawatni in 1901 states that when new city was founded, the city was initially divided into blocks. Initially blocks number four, six, seven, eight and twelve were settled. At that time, the city had the majority if Hindus.
Temple for Hindus was in Block No.2 which lost the status of a shrine due to migration of Hindus after partition, which was demolished in 1992 after the tragedy of Babri Masjid.
The festival of Dussehra was celebrated in a large field to the west of Block N0.3, along with the cremation ground where Hindu crematoriums were burnt.
There was a Gurdwara for Sikhs in Block No.3 which was converted in MC Girls Primary School after partition.
A Mosque for Muslims was built in Block No.12, which still exists.
Initially, two big Bazaars (markets) were build and in the north-south and east-west, there is a large well in the crossing square of these two big Bazaars (Markets) from which people used to draw water for drinking. Now this place is called as Fuara Chowk known as Martyrs of End of Prophethood.
Popular Markets: Popular bazaars in the city include Dakhna Bazar, Main Bazaar, Sadar Bazaar, Nai Bazzar and Jama Bazaar.
Beauty of the City
The branches of the Sheesham trees were intertwined on the both sides of Okanawala road in such a way that the road looked like greenery.
Jinnah Chowk in the city is now called Tarnaka Chowk. Here a man named Jamil Tarnaka do leather business. Due to his name, the Chowk became known as Tarnaka Chowk.
Famous poets and singers of Chichawatni include Professor Shahid Rizwan, Abbas Najmi, Idress Qamar, Karam Elahi amil and Mzhar Trindi. Famous singer Mehdi Hassan also belonged to this city.
The forest was planted to run the railway steam engine. The forest planting was started by World War 1 prisoners. The prisoners’ barrack was built on the site where today the Office of the forest department. The second barrack was built at Kotla Adib Sahaheed, now called Kotla “Jundra Ram”.At that time, there are lots of sheesham trees in the forest.
Chichawatni railway station was established in 1918. The station was expanded in 1927, and new station building was constructed in 2007.
Taj Mahal Hotel
The Taj Mahal Hotel and Wedding Hall will envelop you in luxury, and the decorations will wow your attendees, creating a refined environment that will be “memorable.” Our beautiful function hall arrangements are the excellent place for your wedding ceremony. Come visit our function venues, whether you’re planning an event for 100 or 1500 people.
Also read: The History of Kamalia